Saturday, August 29, 2009

Reading the language- Washing

Washing, an integral part of living out of a back pack and a precious commodity in the middle of summer therefore a super expensive necessity at any hostel or camping ground. Most places charge around 10euros to wash and dry about 5 kilos.
My idea, simple yet brilliant, save myself money by first of all throwing out dirty clothes and wearing clean ones until I could fit my newly bought tent in my bag. Secondly by going to the super market and buy concentrated Greek laundry detergent, (I can tell from the pictures on the side and the size of the bottle that you only have to use a little bit, good for travelling with I thought) and washing the clothes I’d been wearing for the day in the shower, or in the sink, just before I go to sleep. I hang them up and by the morning like magic they’re dry and smell like flowers (literally it’s kind of weird). I do this trick with all my clothes as I travel the next 4weeks. It’s not till I get to my Aunt and Uncles place to use a proper washing machine (which the clothes really needed, hand washing doesn’t seem to work as well as machines), that my uncle, being able to read the Dutch on the side, informs me that my money saving, energy efficient substitute was actually fabric softener.

No comments:

Post a Comment